Ecologically designed edible plantings, walkways, and recreation for the community
This project has transformed a small park into a diverse and useful forest garden. Previously, this park had little to offer except an expanse of turf with shade trees at its edges. By adding ecologically designed plantings of native and edible trees and shrubs, walkways and recreation features, the park has become a valuable community asset. It features:
- low-maintenance and sustainable design
- family-friendly opportunities to connect with nature
- a way to learn about permaculture and native gardening
- a beautiful place to play, walk, sit, and interact
- a source of food for people and animals
The work is being done by volunteers from the neighborhood. They come in all ages.
- Let us know if you want to help. We hold monthly work days. Fill out our contact form to let us know you want to help, and someone will get in touch with you.
- Subscribe below to keep in touch with what’s going on.
- Donate plants or materials. Fill out our contact form to let us know what you are offering, and we will tell you if it can fit into our plans. Or pay attention to announcements on the blog or on the Mount Rainier listserv, where we will let you know what the park needs.
Support for this project has come from Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission, the City of Mount Rainier, the Mount Rainier Tree Commission, the Mount Rainier Green Team and the Maryland Urban and Community Forest Committee.